Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Countdown Begins...

WARNING... this blog post might be very long... not for the faint of heart!

It seems that time has gone fast and it is almost time for us to scat (I was going for a rhyme there... I'm not so sure it worked). Since we have been here, we have been working on our NYC list (mostly my NYC list but meh). A good portion of the list was completed in the first month we were here but some just had to wait till this wonderful holiday season. This past weekend my sister in-law Jenn and her sister Jamie came out. My brother told me he didn't get invited, but apparently he lies like my dad and he just didn't want to come... but we were glad Jamie came out. The two arrived Saturday night. So you might be wondering what we did on our last Saturday here out east, well we partied hard at Wal-Mart. Not so glamorous but we needed to get a few more things for our last week here and our journey home. You might be thinking to yourselves, that we probably had time for other stuff besides Wal-Mart... well you'd be mistaken. Going to Wal-Mart out here is a full day's adventure. I think it took us an hour and a half to get home from a place that takes about 20 minutes to get to. Anywho, back to the more exciting stuff. That Saturday night we all went to an Italian restaurant here in Jersey City and took Jenn and Jamie to the pier to get a good look at Manhattan. Sunday, Todd and I had to speak in Sacrament and teach in Primary so Jenn and Jamie ventured into the city themselves. Sunday is also the day I discovered a... COCKROACH!!!! For some reason I am deathly afraid of them and almost didn't want to come out here because I knew they would be here. I found it after I took a shower and I must say I handled it very well... I calmly called for Todd to come put it out of it's misery. I now am scared of finding one without Todd....eww. Our talks went well I suppose and we did Jeopardy for our last day in Primary (to review lessons of course). So there is this boy named Thurman and he is a boy after my own heart. He loves chocolate and the last Sunday he said "You should bring chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for your last Sunday... it's the least you could do." hahahaha gotta love a boy who loves his chocolate. Since it was the least I could do, I made chocolate cupcakes. We have very much enjoyed our time in Primary and will miss those kids!

We came home from church and finally did our "UP" picture with our chairs...


 I think we did a pretty good job... haha. I have decided for our next family photo shoot I want the pictures vintage looking and with balloons... I can't wait!

Monday morning, everyone left Gus and I and headed into the city. I met up with them all at 1:00 pm and we headed to Central Park to do some ice skating. Monday was going to be the warmest day this week so we had to take advantage of it. Having the experience to ice skate in Central Park is kind of spendy but we had a great time. Todd had told me he was bad at ice skating... he lied... but I am bad at ice skating. It took me a minute to remember how to do it but I did pretty good... I am not as fast as Todd but I'm scared of speed (traumatic rollerblade accident caused my phobia). The ice was a little choppy but how many times can you say (especially if your from Idaho or Utah) you ice skated in Central Park?
Todd even had to show off by making a jump... he almost didn't make it though:)




After ice skating Todd left us and we headed down to Macy's. I only got us lost once, and not really lost, I just headed east instead of west. Macy's is huge!!!!! In hindsight we wish we would have gone to the MoMa (Museum of Modern Art) but oh well. Funny note, so I have been here for about 3 and a halfish months, I have walked by Macy's a handful of times and yet I have never seen the Empire State Building up close (only from skyviews). Low and behold, I looked up at Macy's and saw this...


That's right folks, the Empire State Building has been above me the whole time... I don't know how I didn't realize this... it's like a block away from Macy's. The Empire State Building was our next destination and Todd met up with us again. The wait was only 15 minutes and it technically wasn't a wait, it just took us 15 minutes to get through everything and head up (it was awesome). The views from the top were amazing but man, oh man was it cold. We had to go back inside to warm up to brave the chill again.

Todd, Jenn and Jamie 

The Chrysler Building and other buildings

Jenn and Jamie

It was a tad windy...

South Manhattan, area where the Twin Towers used to be

Cold but happy photo!

After the fun filled day, we headed back to Jersey City to pick up Gus and went out for dinner. Tuesday, I didn't come into the city till around 3:30 pm. I have to mention this because it has only happened to me once... I hit both trains right on... walked down the stairs at Grove ST... Boom, the 33rd train... walked down the stairs at 33rd St, Boom the "M", I made it into the city in about 35 minutes... new record for me! Todd and I met up with the girls by the Gershwin Theater and headed to dinner. We ate at the"Stardust" which is a 50's styled restaurant and the waiters and waitresses sing. The food was pretty good, our waiter sucked and the entertainment was pretty good, but it still ain't got nothin on Rupes! 

After dinner we headed to the Gershwin Theater to watch "Wicked." Todd and I were so excited to watch it again. The show was even more amazing the second time. I kept getting chills and cried more:). We were very thankful to Jenn for taking us again. Jenn and Jamie both loved it as well. I still want to play Glinda... sigh...

That ended our time with Jenn and Jamie. We had a great time with them and are thankful for everything they did for us (you guys can come visit us and stay at our place anytime you want!!). 

Well I best be getting ready... I'm going into the city to go to MoMa (Todd doesn't want to go). The MoMa has "A Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh and it is one of my favorite paintings; I'm excited to go, even if it is by myself. I'll meet up with Todd after he is done with work to go to Rockefeller Center. We have three full days left here (including today) and it is crazy how time has flown by. After today my list will be complete so I guess it's ok if we come home:).

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I'm so glad you will have your list completed and so glad you'll be home soon!